Cheap Diving; How to Get It Without Sacrificing Quality?20/05/2022
5 SDI Diving Advantages Based on Its Values24/05/2022
Jordy is a young Australian girl who has been working as a Dive Instructor at Dressel Divers for 2 years. She fell in love with diving 10 years ago, after her first dive in the Philippines. Jordy is also passionate about cooking and yoga, and we can attest that she is an excellent photographer, as you can see on her Instagram https://www.instagram.com/jordy.lea.photography/
We invite you to get to know her a little more, through this interview.
1. At what age did you start diving?
At 18 on a holiday with my brother in the Philippines 🇵🇭
2. What is the most incredible dive you ever did?
In the Galapagos Islands, with turtles, hammerhead sharks, manta rays, seals and penguins – all packed into one dive!!
3. At what point did you realize you wanted to be a Dive Instructor?
During my second season working as a Divemaster/DSD leader in Spain, when I started enjoying training DSDs more than guiding certified divers.
4. Where did you do your Instructor Course?
Here in Playa Del Carmen, Mexico
5. What qualities do you think a Dive Instructor needs to be successful?
Patience, enthusiasm and patience.
6. What is the best advice you ever gave to your students?
Just breathe 🙃
7. What is your most memorable moment with students?
There are so many, but I love training older divers. One of my favorite memories was doing the Open Water course with a 74 year old gentleman diving for the first time in his life. He was so frustrated with himself for not picking it up so fast at the beginning but by the end he was amazing and so proud of himself. I love watching this progression – and I think you’re never too old to start diving!
8. Why would you recommend Dressel Divers to new students?
The great team – of course! But also we have such a great range of dive sites super close by to cater to every level of diving so it’s really easy to start and then continue building experience.
9. How long have you been in Dressel Divers?
1 year – 6 months in Jamaica and now 6 months here in Mexico.
10. What features and opportunities made you cho0se to work with this company in particular?
I was searching for a place to continue my professional development and the Divemaster to IDC internship was perfect for me to be able to work in exchange for my training and certification.
11. Which Dressel Divers dive center would you like to go next if the opportunity arises?
I’d love to go and spend more time in Cozumel or maybe visit the Dominican Republic during humpback whale season.
12. What is the best advice you would give to someone who wants to make a living with scuba diving?
Gain as much experience in as many different aspects of dive center operations as you can, if you have the opportunity to learn about something new – jump at it and ask a million questions. Then when you become a professional, the more time you spend underwater, the less time you have to spend money 😉
13.What are your other hobbies? What do you do on your day off here in Cozumel?
I love to practice yoga, cook yummy vegetarian food, go to the beach and sleeeep 😴