SDI Deep Diver Course or How to Reach Where Others Can’t30/08/2023
Coral Reefs of the Dominican Republic and Sustainable Diving06/09/2023
In this interview, we invite you to meet Juli, the dedicated Dive Boss at Dressel Divers Montego Bay. Join us as we embark on a journey into her underwater world, starting from the very beginning, and uncovering the most cherished moments that have fueled her passion for the deep sea.
- At what age did you start diving?
My only regret in life is starting diving late. I began at 36 years old while on vacation on an island in Brazil called Fernando de Noronha.
- What is the most incredible dive you’ve ever done?
That’s a difficult question to answer, but I would have to say a dive site in Fernando de Noronha where I saw a beautiful tiger shark.
- At what point did you realize you wanted to be a Dive Instructor?
It was very quick. After my first dive, I enrolled directly in my Open Water Course. Two months later, I completed the advanced combined with Nitrox Course. Six months later, I moved to Mexico, where I started my Internship with Dressel Divers. After that, I never stopped.
- Where and with whom did you do your instructor course?
I completed my entire Internship with Dressel Divers in Playa del Carmen, followed by the IDC, also there.
The best thing I’ve done in my life is diving. Teaching and being underwater most of the day is amazing!
- What qualities do you think a Dive Instructor needs to be successful?
A Dive Instructor needs to be patient, a good communicator, and fun! Organizational and agility skills are also very welcome.
- What is the best advice you’ve ever given to students?
Relax, don’t overthink. Just prioritize safety, breathe, and stay calm.
- What is your most memorable moment with students?
An Open Water Course with a boy named Will, who had muscular dystrophy. His happiness after the course was priceless.
- Why would you recommend Dressel Divers to new students?
All the standards and procedures followed by the Dressel Divers Team over its 30 years create a safe and supportive environment where the team adapts to customer needs. The organization, safety, and care towards the divers we receive are unique and provide comfort and confidence to our customers.
Dressel’s safety standards and care for divers create a unique and comfortable environment
- How long have you been with Dressel Divers?
I started my Internship in June 2019 and spent 8 months in Mexico. Due to the pandemic, I had to return to Brazil, where I worked as a Dive Instructor for 2 years. In April 2022, I came to Jamaica, where I’m currently working as a Diving Instructor and Dive Boss.
- What features and opportunities made you choose to work with this company in particular?
Dressel gives you the opportunity to grow and increase your knowledge. It also offers opportunities to live in different countries and experience different cultures. And again, the strong standards and procedures, safety, and the environment create a very positive atmosphere where we can be happy doing what we love: diving!
- Which Dressel Divers dive center would you like to go next if the opportunity arises?
When the pandemic came, and I had to return to Brazil, everything was already arranged for me to go to Cozumel. Then, I came to Jamaica as a step while waiting to return there. The opportunity to be the Dive Boss here arose, and I decided to stay to experience it. So now, if I could think about a next step within the company, I would go to Cozumel.
- What is the best advice you would give to someone who wants to take up scuba diving?
Don’t think twice; it was the best thing I’ve done in my life. Seeing people’s reactions after a dive, teaching, and being able to be underwater for most of your day is the most amazing thing you can ever experience!
- What are your other hobbies? What do you do on your day off here in Montego Bay?
I love music, and I have a degree in anthropology; therefore, on my days off, I explore the place I’m living, meeting new people, and, of course, enjoying the natural treasures I have here in Jamaica.