Top Things To Do In Punta Cana During Your Vacation01/07/2019
7 Tips To Take Your Green Spirit Wherever You Go This Summer10/07/2019
Liam Hill-Parker is PADI Dive Instructor who has been working at Dressel Divers Montego Bay (Jamaica) for almost two years. He is not only an avid football fan, but also an experienced scuba diver with hundred of dives on his logbook. Today we went to the beautiful Montego Bay to meet Liam and know more about his beginnings in scuba diving, his more memorable moments with students or his best tips.
1) At what age did you start diving?
I started diving at the age of 29.
2) What is the most incredible dive you ever did?
The best dives i have ever done have been at Verde Island, Puerto Galera, Philippines. The diversity of life is phenomenal.
3) At what point did you realize you wanted to be a Dive Instructor?
I thought about becoming an instructor after doing my Rescue Course with one of my best friends but I pursued a career in commercial diving first.
4) Where did you do your instructor course?
I did my IDC and IE with Dressel Divers in Playa Del Carmen.
5) What qualities do you think a dive instructor needs to be successful?
Patience and the ability to recognize that people learn in different ways and adapt your teaching to suit.
6) What is the best advice you ever gave to your students?
The best advice I’ve ever given would be any advice I’ve given that has helped a student complete their course comfortably and with confidence.
It’s memorable when the eyes of a student light up during a dive and you see how excited they are.
7) What is your most memorable moment with students?
I have memorable moments with my students every week. Any student who’s eyes light up during or after a dive and when you can see how excited they are. Also when you help students who don’t believe in themselves that they can do it. Then when you help them achieve it they feel a great sense of accomplishment.
8) Why would you recommend Dressel Divers to new students?
Dressel Divers in Jamaica is a great place for beginner divers as we have great visibility, a calm ocean and no current or drifts making it perfect for teaching beginners.
9) How long have you been in Dressel Divers?
I have been at Dressel for eighteen months.
10) What features and opportunities made you chose to work with this company in particular?
The six month internship with IDC and IE were the reasons I chose Dressel Divers.
11) Which Dressel Divers dive center would you like to go next if the opportunity arises?
Not sure as I love it in Jamaica but if Dressel had places in South America, Red Sea or Asia I would be open to look
12) What is the best advice you would give to someone who wants to make a living with scuba diving?
Try it for free first or do a discover programme.
13) What are your other hobbies? What do you do on your day off here in Montego Bay?
I’m an avid football fan so on my day off I like to catch up and watch as many live games as I can from the Premier League. I’m also a keen runner and enjoy taking part in marathons and road races.