How to Prevent Ear Injuries by Equalizing Pressure While Diving12/05/2021
How To Choose Your Dive Computer And Make no Mistake26/05/2021
Knowing the Divemaster requirements is vital for those who want to make diving their professional career. In fact, we get a lot of questions about it.
As a PADI 5 Star Career Development Center, Dressel Divers has a wide range of dive training options. At many of our bases, we offer scholarships to our students, so our trainees can gain knowledge and practical experience by interning with us. Our training program has been running successfully for more than 15 years.
Therefore, in today’s article, we review all the Divemaster requirements. And we summarize, as well, the technical skills and personal qualities that will make you an amazing dive guide.
Let’s take a look at them!
Divemaster Requirements: What Do You Need to Take the Course?
The PADI Divemaster course is the first professional certification you will get. There are seven more. You can find out what they are by reading the article 12 Scuba Diving Certification Levels from Beginners to Professional.
By taking the course, which lasts approximately 50 hours, you will acquire theoretical, practical, and technical knowledge. It will make you an excellent guide and assistant PADI Dive Instructor. When you finish the course, you will be able to guide the students who take their first steps in recreational diving.
Divemaster requirements to take the course:
- be over 18 years old
- have completed a “rescue diver” course,
- have at least 40 logged dives in your logbook,
- have completed a CPR course and obtained a first aid certification in the 24 months before the start of the divemaster course,
- medical clearance to dive.
If you don’t meet any of these prerequisites to become a Divemaster, rest assured, at Dressel Divers, we have different training packages that include everything you will need to become a PADI Professional, even if you haven’t dived before.
These are the available packages:
– Platinum Package (zero 2 hero, from non-diver to Divemaster).
– Gold Package (from Open Water Diver to Divemaster).
– Silver Package (from Advanced Diver to Divemaster)
Divemaster Requirements: What Do You Need to Pass the Course?
To get your certification, you will need to pass some tests.
These are the Divemaster requirements.
- Pass the theoretical exam on the knowledge of the work a Divemaster does and the science of diving.
- Pass the physical tests.
- Float for 15 minutes. In the last two minutes, the candidate must keep his hands out of the water.
- Swim 400 meters without mask and snorkel and swim 800 meters with mask and snorkel. These tests are timed.
- Drag an unconscious diver more than 100 meters. The aspiring divemaster has to transfer the unconscious and fully equipped diver to the surface without assistance.
- Underwater equipment exchange: 2 candidates must exchange cylinders, mask, fins, weighting system, all sharing air with a single regulator.
- Performing the practical exercises of the course will be another of the Divemaster requirements. These exercises consist of:
- supervising divers up to 40 meters deep,
- searching for a small object underwater,
- retrieving an object of approx. 10 kilos and bringing it to the surface,
- exercise to rescue a diver;
- establish an emergency action plan detailing all phases,
- conduct a dive refresher course,
- lead, at least, one complete Open Water course with an Instructor and one more of the advanced courses,
- teach Open Water exercises,
- prepare a dive, taking into account weather conditions, time of year, types of divers and dives,
- present a briefing,
- drawing a map of an Open Water dive,
- organize and lead dives.
Divemaster Requirements: What Qualities Will Make You A Great Professional?
Writing this section could be as easy as listing the list of qualities that a good Divemaster has. But we are not going to do that. Our customers are the source of this Divemaster’s requirements list, writing their reviews on Tripadvisor.
We have a little more to add. Here are all the Divemaster requirements. Do you want to become one of them? Do write us.